Friday, September 11, 2009

Comfort Reads



Description unavailable
On the  anniversary of September 11, 2001, I always want to cocoon myself in my home with family and good food. Although the month of September has always been of my favorites because of the cooling weather and the changing color of foilage, now the memory of that day causes in me feelings of grief and unsteadiness.

Mind you, none of my family or friends were in the Trade Center towers on that painfully fateful day.

There are a few comforting books I like to reread around this time to soothe my sad mood and help me to remember the good, decent parts of human nature. Some titles that distract and give me peace are:


The Joy Luck Club Amy Tan
The County of Pointed Furs Sara Orne Jewett
Judy's Journey Lois Lenski
There Eyes Were Watching God Zora Neale Hurston
God, Dr. Buzzard and the Bolito Man Cornelia Walker Bailey with Christina Bledsoe
In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens Alice Walker
The Best of Simple Langston Hughes
Daughters of the Dust Julie Dash
A Year of Wonders Geraldine Brooks
Into Thin Air Jon Krakuer
Jaws Peter Benchley
Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte


Imagine a meal of homemade lasagna and apple pie while reading one of these wonderful books.  Of course there will good music of your choice playing in the background.   I lose some of the sensation of being hollowed out with cold misery and uncertainty.

Although these books are familiar, when reread I always find something interesting and/or beautiful in them that I had never noticed.  It is sort of like my relationship with my husband Chip.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment