Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A True Southern Gentleman in the Twenty-First Century

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
~ Mark Twain


As you may or may not know the county in which I live is about 1% African American.  Several of my neighbors display Confederate flags on their properties, but then my next door neighbor put out a huge, bright, impossible for me to ignore flowing rebel flag.  I was ready to have a huge argument with somebody in that household.  I never saw the adults, just the teenaged kids, and I did not want to talk to them.

 Finally after a few weeks, the mother's boyfriend was at home and I asked him who owned the flag flying so free and wild in the breeze.  He told me it belonged to him.  So I asked him what the flag symbolized, and he said "southern rebelhood and states rights."  I explained to him that the flag to some people also represented slavery and that it offended me.  He said "that he did not realize that it would be offensive to anyone," and that he would immediately take it down. Wow!  What a surprise.  I am just grateful for his simple kindness.  It means everything.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment