Wednesday, November 18, 2009

They Can't Live Without Us

As usual no matter where I happen to be, I find myself watching somebody; you could call it spying.  I call it being observant, curious, and maybe just a tiny bit nosy.  Usually it's not the clothing they're wear that catches my attention.  I'm attracted to the expression on faces, posture, and the interactions between companions.

Today I saw a man who looked to be in his late fifties standing with a dazed and confused expression on his face, for more more than a few minutes, in front of the sanitary napkins display.  He had bleary eyes and clothes that were wrinkled and looked slept in.   My guess was that his woman, daughter, sister, or friend was at home with the flu and could not do her own shopping.  When I noticed his presence, I could not help but peek at him out of the corner of my eye.  He seemed to be asking himself over and over, "which one which one does she use?"  I wandered closer to him and pretended to be looking at the shampoos.  Perhaps he picked up that I was watching him because he avoided eye contact and quickly scampered away to another part of the store.  He could have been running away to make a quick cell phone call to ask what he should buy.


Every adult male in a long term relationship usually ends up having to purchase sanitary items for a woman in his life.  I wish this particular man had felt comfortable enough to turn to me and asked for advice.  I would have asked if he knew the color of the box or package she used.  At least I could have helped him to pick something adequate.  I hope that someday men will feel less embarrassed, but I was thrilled to see a man of his generation attempting to purchase pads or tampons.

 
Some men never notice the brand of pad or tampon their wife or girlfriend uses, and yet (God bless them) they're always trying to get into that wonderful place that the blood comes through.  American men don't seem to think the blood from vaginas are polluted or harmful.  As far as I can see, they're not afraid of becoming contamination.  Quite the contrary, most of them seem  ecstatic to have sex with a woman whether she's on her period or not.  They appear to intuitively know that menstrual blood is healthy, and a symbol of fertility and life.  I just love American men.  I choose to live with them, despite their imperfections, but that's another blog post.

The Sanitary NapkinImage by nelz9999 via Flickr

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment