Monday, February 15, 2010

WHO'S AFRAID OF BIG, BROWN, NAPPY-HEADED WOMAN?

A late Valentine's Card:  Many people are afraid because that is what our culture has taught us.  I was a student a few years ago and I walked into my college library.  The librarian was afraid of me.  Yes, scared of sweet-natured, silly me.  I saw the fear and the dread on her face.  She is an older Caucasian woman.  What did she think I was going to do?  Put a knife to her throat and demand her purse and all of the books I could carry? 

Sometimes I come across brown women with a stern "don't mess with me" look on their face and I know why they look the way they do.  It is because they have to overcome the prejudices of other people and maybe even each other.   I have seen some brown women with some mean, hard looks on their faces that made me move or cross the street.  Me, I usually walk around with a dreamy look on my face until someone treats me like a criminal, and then even my face wears a rage filled scowl!

The fact of the matter is that the average brown woman is just trying to get through her day and harming anyone rarely crosses her mind.  Everytime I see you I try to give you a big grin.  I understand the cynical grimace I get back sometimes, because there are days I am trying to keep that grimace off my face.

Peace
Judaye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCbp3q_e4Ks  Badu  Cleva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPCs7vVz6s  Badu On and On

No comments:

Post a Comment