Monday, April 5, 2010

Grappling With the Blue Eyed Devil: Part One of Three

I never planned to hook up with a “white” man.  When I was younger we
called them Blue Eyed Devils.  They were the ones who kept the “black” man
ignorant and frustrated while benefiting from the black woman’s
intelligence, sweetness, and loyalty.  They had a funny smell to them like Prell shampoo and damp birds, no style, and did not understand the importance of family or culture.

So, imagine the nature of my thoughts while sitting in a Marine Corps chow hall on Camp Pendleton when a blond man winked at me and plopped down across the table.  He gazed fearlessly into my eyes and with a southern accent said, “ I’ve been looking for a woman.  I have been watching you and decided you are the one I want. Now I don’t know how I am going to get you, but one day you will be mine, mine mine.”  Needless to say, I was beyond disgusted and pissed. "Why, " I thought, "did I always attract the weirdos?" I gave him what I hoped was a ferocious look and standing my ground, I refused to leave the table because I was there first!  To my amazement the fool sat there and grinned at me for about half an hour before he finished his food.

Fearful that I had a stalker, I went into private investigator mode.  I kept asking everyone I knew who he was and if they knew anything about him. I was disturbed by what I found out: No one had anything negative to say about the man.  Apparently he was a decent, even tempered fellow who did his job well.  One of my respected superiors at the motor pool we were assigned to looked at me thoughtfully and said, "Hmmm. I never heard of him acting that way before. He must really like you."  Yes reader, we worked at the same place.  I had met this blond man named Jake before, but was so unimpressed I did not even remember him.  Besides, I had a tall, handsome black boyfriend from my own hometown in the Midwest. 

To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. Am thinking - based on some of the links in your blogroll - that I can kind of guess how this turned out. ;-)

    Also wanted to mention that I really like your book blog. (We have similar tastes - and many thanks for the recs.) And I'm always glad to come across other women (of all colors) who are blogging, too. (Sometimes I think I'm one of the only women in the world who's doing a music blog, though I know there are at least 5 others. [g].)

    All the best,
    spinning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spinning. Thanks for the compliment on my book blog. My perspective on life is not as common as I sometimes think it is, but it is too difficult to change who I am and what my experiences have taught me at this late date.

    Please keep bringing that good music on the internet. I will be looking at your blog to find some new music to love. This popular stuff is scary sickening. I don't know if it is because I am getting older or what, but I cannot bare to listen to some of what seems to me musical garbage without cringing.

    Readers, to hear some international and enlightening sounds go to: http://spinninginair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My perspective on life is not as common as I sometimes think it is...
    I think that's true for (and of) most of us out here - I know I have to readjust my thinking lots of times because others that I'm talking with are coming from very different places that me.

    Popular music (or most of it) very much agreed. I'm also at an age where I want to concentrate on the good stuff and leave the rest alone. Was in my mid-40s when I 1st experienced the "Now I get why my parents didn't like my music" moment, while in a record store where the clerk decided to put on a very hyper techno CD. I literally had to leave the store - the music was making my heart race.

    And thanks so much for the shout-out! It's really appreciated.

    (btw, although I've never lived in B-more, I did live right outside of D.C. for many years, so it's nice to run into a blogger from your neck of the woods!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. forgot to say that "Prell shampoo and damp birds" is a really wonderful line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard this story from you before. I love it. I want all the details. I especially enjoyed the stereotypes you started with: Prell, etc. Tell us more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I can't wait for the next installment. How does it all turn out? Will the guy get the girl? Will she spurn him further?
    I have to say, I agree with spinning about other women of color bloggers. I have searched high and low, finding just us few. (Thanks BTW for putting me on your blogroll - ADVENTURE SALON - and as soon as I find out how to add one, I'll put you on mine as well.)
    Thanks for being out there with such provocative postings!

    ReplyDelete